Apr 25, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

1332 Changes in Grades

Return to: 1300 University Academic Regulations  

A course grade that has been reported by the instructor to the Office of the Registrar and recorded cannot be changed except in the following circumstances:

  • Error in grade - If a student believes that there is an error in a grade, the student should discuss the situation with the instructor. A request for a change of grade assigned by an instructor who has left the University should be addressed to the chair of the department.
  • Removal of an Incomplete - A student receiving a grade of I (incomplete) is expected to consult with the instructor within the prescribed time limit and to complete all necessary work. The period of time given to a student to remove a grade of I is established by the instructor, subject only to the maximum time limit set by the university. The university requires that a grade of I be removed not later than the end of the second academic term after the grade of I was assigned (whether or not the student was enrolled during these two terms). The Office of the Registrar will assign a grade of F at the end of the second academic term unless the Office of the Registrar receives an approved grade change request from the instructor. (If the student enrolled for S/U grading, a U will be assigned.). Using the change request process, instructors may or may not change this F/U to an authorized academic grade (i.e., A,B,C,D,S or WF) but may not change it back to an I. Instructors may not change an I to a W unless an Emergency Withdrawal is awarded. In exceptional cases, departments may authorize students to have an I grade for more than two semesters. Such authorizations must be approved by the department chair. The authorization to extend the I beyond two semesters must be renewed each semester. Students need not be enrolled to complete assignments for a course in which a grade of I has been assigned. Auditing or retaking the same course will not remove a grade of I. No student may graduate with an incomplete grade for that particular degree program.