Return to: 5130 Department of Nutrition
Clinical Course Requirements
The Georgia State University Health Center requires an Immunization Record on file before students may register for courses. Additional health information, laboratory test and immunizations may be required by specific supervised practice rotations and/or facilities. It is the responsibility of the student to consult with the Coordinated Program Director or Coordinator in the Department of Nutrition prior to beginning a clinical assignment. Liability insurance must be purchased prior to beginning the program and again at the beginning of each academic year.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen
Your application for licensure may ask you to respond to questions regarding any violations of federal, state or local law. You may be required to provide documentation to the state licensing board explaining any such occurrence. The individual state licensing agencies have exclusive authority to issue a license and could decline to issue such a license based on an applicant’s prior criminal record.
Additionally, many of the clinical sites with which we have a clinical agreement require criminal background checks, finger printing and drug screen prior to allowing the student to be placed in the facility. The clinical facility has the right to deny the student an internship in the facility based on the findings of the criminal background check or drug screen.
Students in the master’s program in health sciences who plan to complete a thesis will select, with assistance from the major adviser, a Graduate/Thesis Committee, consisting of a chairperson and at least two additional members. The Committee should be selected by the time 12 semester hours have been completed. The Committee should be selected in accordance with the following criteria:
- The Committee Chairperson must hold an appointment in the student’s department and hold full or provisional Graduate Faculty Status in the Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions.
- A second member of the Committee must be from the faculty at Georgia State University.
- A third member must be selected from the faculty of Georgia State University or another institution of higher education or from a health-related agency.
- All Committee members must be selected in consultation with the chair of the Graduate/Thesis Committee and approved by the head of the department.
- No Committee may consist of fewer than three members; however, a student may elect to have more than three members.
Master’s Project Capstone Option
The Project Advisor must hold a primary appointment in the student’s department. A second committee member can be selected from the faculty at Georgia State University, from the faculty at another institution of higher education, or from a health-related agency.