The Georgia Film Academy is a collaborative effort of the University System of Georgia and Technical College System of Georgia supporting workforce needs of the film and digital entertainment industries. The academy certifies workforce-ready employees in needed areas of filmmaking crafts such as lighting, special effects makeup, sound and production design, and editing. The academy provides students with a basic level of on-set film production skills, knowledge and experience with film-industry standard organizational structure, professional equipment, and on-set procedures. Students are trained by professionals in the film, television, and new media industries and have opportunities to work on major professional productions.
The Georgia Film Academy (GFA) Minor allows students to earn credit towards a minor program and/or a certificate offered through the Georgia Film Academy. The certificates offered through the Georgia Film Academy are:
- Film & Television Production
- Film and Television Post-Production
- Digital Entertainment, Esports & Game Development
Students must complete one of the prerequisite for each track in order to enroll into the Georgia Film Academy Minor:
- GFA 1000 - Introduction to Film & Television Production (Film & Television Production Certification) and GFA Minor only
- GFA 1040 - Introduction to Film & Television Post-Production (Film and Television Post-Production Certification)
- GFA 1500 Introduction to Digital Entertainment, Esports & Game Development (Digital Entertainment, Esports & Game Development Certification)
Upon completion of two additional courses in the pathway (2000 level and above listed below), the student will receive a professional certification from the Georgia Film Academy.