Return to: 10400 School of Music
Digital Portfolio for Prospective B.S. Students Only
The Georgia State University School of Music recognizes that many musicians today have career aspirations beyond performance, including music management, promotion, arts administration and similar fields. Nevertheless, as a NASM-accredited institution, the School of Music requires every music major to engage in active music making at some level. For those students who engage in musical activities outside the traditional genres of classical vocal, classical instrumental, contemporary classical music composition or jazz idioms, the School of Music is interested in learning how you engage in the musical arts. The digital portfolio provides a way for students to demonstrate their musical fluency outside traditional genres.
The successful portfolio will clearly demonstrate facility in non-traditional music making areas including (but not limited to) popular musical performance (such as pop/rap/rock band performance), music production, D.J. mixing, management and marketing. Evaluators will base decision on the depth and merit of the written and video submissions, and overall musical quality and recording quality of the submitted optional electronic selections.
The digital portfolio should contain the following:
- A resume detailing your educational, musical, and/or professional background.
- A Statement of Purpose (approx. 1- 2 pages) that communicates your plans and goals related to the pursuit of this degree program. Why do you wish to pursue the BS in Music Management at GSU, and how will you contribute to the musical life of the School of Music?
- Two video recordings:
- The first video (approx. 3 minutes in length) should be an introduction describing your background, musical interests and professional aspirations in the music industry.
- The second video (approx. 3 minutes in length) should address the following question: Describe someone that you admire currently in the music industry. What skills and characteristics does this person possess that makes them unique?
- You also have the option of submitting the following supporting materials with your digital portfolio:
- Musical recordings - vocal or instrumental mixes (maximum of 2)
- Videos of live performances - artists, DJs, musicians (maximum of 2)
- Marketing/Management materials for a current or recent music release - may include budgets, contracts, streaming analytics, press highlights, tour routing, etc. (maximum of 3 documents)
Current Georgia State students must also submit the digital portfolio in order to be considered for admittance into the major. Current students must also have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8.