Total Semester Hours for Certificate: Minimum of 12
In order to be eligible to earn the certificate, students must:
- be enrolled in a masters, specialist, or doctoral program at Georgia State University
- have a minimum GPA of 3.3 to apply
- submit the application to the Department of Educational Policy Studies with the endorsement of an RMS faculty member.
Normal Time to Complete Program
The Certificate program requires 4 courses in addition to prerequisite courses. An estimated timeframe to complete the Certificate is two years. Students may be able to apply the coursework in the Certificate to their degree programs.
Learning Outcomes and Assessments
The RMS faculty evaluate students on learning outcomes for the Certificate which are assessed in courses which the student takes. The learning outcomes below are assessed based on the student’s ability to work with large databases relevant to education and human development.
The student is able to…
- access large databases
- analyze large databases
- address exploratory investigations or research question(s) with appropriate methodology
- communicate methods and results very well in a written report
Current information is available at sfs.gsu.edu/tuition-fees/what-it-costs/.
The Education Informatics Certificate aids in the preparation of students to be employed as:
- Survey Researchers or Survey Methodologists (SOC 19-3022)
- Program Analysts (SOC 13-1111)
- Research Methodology and Quantitative Methods (SOC 15-2041) for Statisticians
- Research Methodology and Quantitative Methods (SOC 11-9199) for Managers and All Others
You can find additional information on the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) and occupational profiles on these professions at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and O*Net web sites: www.bls.gov/soc/ and www.onetcenter.org/.
In addition to these SOC titles, people holding the Certificate may be employed to analyze large data bases which are found in school systems, state departments of education, the federal government, international agencies, and non-governmental organizations.
Other Certificate Information
There is no state or accrediting agency that requires tracking placement rates. Students who receive a Certificate must also complete another graduate program which has a higher credential; thus, calculation of median loan debt for this Certificate program is not required.